Sofa beds. Everybody seems to have heard of them. Everybody seems to be buying one. But the real question is this - should you be hopping on the sofa bed bandwagon too? Is it a worthwhile investment for you? We’ll break down the pros and cons of sofa beds to see if they’re suitable for you and your family or whether there are even more suitable alternatives that you’ll fall in love with.
What are sofa beds?
So what exactly is this so-called sofa bed? Sofa beds are sofas that can be made to serve as a bed when you pull out a concealed mattress or lower its hinged back to a horizontal position, creating enough space for a person to sleep. This helps sofa beds serve a multi-purpose use during both the day and night. But is that enough to persuade you to buy one?
Pros of a sofa bed
- Space saving features - the mattress with it can be tucked away out of sight along with other small bits and bobs
- You can also save on room space by not needing to buy an extra guest bed
- Usually cheaper than most beds
On the other hand, there are some significant cons/weaknesses of the sofa bed that may just have you interested in regular good old beds instead.
Cons of a sofa bed
- Lack of comfort - although the sofa bed holds up reasonably well as an area of rest, it undoubtedly cannot be beaten by the comfort of a regular bed and mattress. Therefore, at Furnitureful we recommend the use of one of our comfortable mattresses here. You can choose from a wide variety of mattresses such as our best-selling memory foam mattresses.
- Only sleeps one person - sure, you can find bigger sofa beds for two however, it’ll be a struggle and cost an arm and a leg too. It might leave you regretful you didn’t invest in a magnificent king size bed like this one.
Are they good enough to sleep on?
Based on the design, absolutely! There are a wide variety of designs and styles available. However, some argue that nothing beats a good size bed and mattress and based on our own range of Ottoman storage beds, we can’t help but agree. If you can’t make up your mind about a sofa bed and feel like it might be out of your depth then fear not and check out our range of Ottoman storage beds here.
Are they good enough as sofas?
Here we can’t lie and have to admit that they will perfectly blend into your living room decor because the sofa bed looks like any other sofa. Mattresses can be artfully hidden and the ‘bed’ aspect of a sofa bed is beautifully discreet due to hinges. Therefore, they can end up being a cheaper option than a lot of beds, however, you definitely shouldn’t skimp on the price because that will show with the quality you receive. Investing in a bed, on the other hand, is likely to leave you feeling more satisfied with a great night’s sleep guaranteed.
Overall, we can completely understand why you too might be looking to get a brand new sofa bed and are excited about the potential savings you could make. And yet, we’d have to urge all consumers to see the superior reality of most beds over sofa beds.