Is Investing In A Sofa Bed Worth It?
With people busier than ever before, many have turned to convenience to help support their day to day lives. One such convenience is the sofa bed. Now, some of you may have no idea what that is but fear not because today I’ll show you what it’s all about and if it is a ‘bed’ that can provide you with a good night’s sleep.
What is a sofa bed?
A sofa bed is quite simply a sofa that doubles up as a bed. They have an area under the cushions that can be used for storage when folded up and a thin metal frame holds a mattress on top for you to sleep on.
At a glance, it appears to be nothing more than a sofa but to use it you have to remove the cushions which expose a fold-out mattress beneath. Sofa beds typically come in queen sizes but are also available in sizes like a twin or single size mattresses.
Who are sofa beds aimed at?
Sofa beds are aimed at predominantly young adults and teenagers. They are most suitable for these age groups because elderly individuals may struggle to use them or find them uncomfortable, and bunk beds/single beds are a more fun alternative for younger children.
Is a sofa bed comfortable or not?
Without a doubt, a sofa bed can’t be beaten by a traditional bed, which provides a better-quality night’s sleep. However, the advancement of modern technology to create a comfortable sofa bed experience also cannot be overlooked.
Memory foam mattresses coupled with a sofa bed can be unrivalled in providing a luxuriating night-time experience as good as anything else on the market!
And yet… this is simply not enough if you plan on investing in this bed. Especially, when many other bed types can also provide an equally gratifying night experience. For example…
The Ottoman Storage Bed
The Ottoman storage bed is a bed that can be lifted from the base to reveal storage space neatly hidden underneath. Most Ottomans are fitted with gas lift hydraulics to allow for easier lifting. This can be seen as superior to the sofa bed which provides significantly less storage space.
Additionally, Ottoman beds can appeal to children and adults alike due to the range of bed sizes they can come in. But if you’re looking for a super king-size sofa bed, you might as well just buy an Ottoman bed instead. Check out our fantastic range of Ottoman beds with mattresses here. We’re sure you’ll find something you like, and with a 10-year warranty included what’s not to love?
Pros of a sofa bed
- Space saver combining two in the space of one – if that’s not a deal I don’t know what is!
- Great value price – usually around the same price as a sofa so your new bed almost comes as a free addition
- Sofa beds have never been trendier, and if you like inviting house guests over frequently, this bed is sure to wow as your guests see how much you can get out of it
Cons of a sofa bed
- Storage space is tiny – which is why we recommend the Ottoman if it’s truly a decent amount of storage space you’re looking for
- Although modern ones are pretty comfortable, they still struggle to beat most traditional bed styles
- Sofa beds can end up being very heavy and bulky which is far from ideal if you keep yours in the living room and like changing your room layout often
So, what do you think? Could the sofa bed be the one for you? It has many great points and yet it isn’t ideal for everyone. You’ll have to see if it’s a great match for your home based on your available space, your storage needs as well as your price point.