What fabric is best for a dog bed?
When it comes to dog beds, there are a range of styles you can choose from, including cushioned, indoor, raised door, and even beds that look like other pieces of furniture already in your home. Depending on the style of dog bed you are after, there are different fabrics and materials that work better for each style.
Indoor dog beds:
Indoor dog beds are the most popular style of dog beds and are what a typical dog bed in the home would look like. These dogs' beds lie flat and are usually cushioned or they have rounded edges that help to keep your dog cosy whilst they are sleeping. Popular fabrics for this style of dog bed include faux fur, polyester, microfibre and suede.
- Faux fur dog bed - faux fur dog beds are comfortable and cosy beds for dogs. They make them feel safe and at home. However, faux fur beds are very difficult to clean and are not machine washable.
- Polyester dog beds - polyester can refer to a range of fabrics, but all these fabrics are both inexpensive and warm.
- Microfibre dog bed - microfibre dog beds are very easy to clean and are inexpensive too.
- Suede dog bed - suede dog beds are hard to clean, any stains that are made will stay there.
Outdoor dog beds:
Regardless of if a dog chooses to sleep inside or outside, they still need a comfortable bed to go to sleep.
- Metal frame dog bed - there are some outdoor dog beds that are just made from a metal frame. These beds are raised and made from stainless steel or any other metal that is anti-rust. To the metal frame, you can add a cushion to provide the dog with a comfortable place to lie down, but it's important to make sure that the cushion is waterproof.
- Shade cloth fabric dog bed - this type of dog bed comes with a thin, UV-protected shade cloth fabric, these fabrics don’t overheat or retain water if they get wet or rained on.
- Anti-rip fabric dog bed - a great option for a dog bed is the anti-rip fabric dog bed this is because these beds are designed to be tough enough not to rip or tear no matter what even if the dog was to claw at the bed it wouldn’t rip.
- Vinyl dog bed - vinyl is a popular material that is used for outdoor dog beds because it dries quickly and is strong and durable.
Furniture-like dog beds:
- Faux leather dog bed- faux leather is a smooth material that doesn’t collect dog hair but is stylish and doesn’t give off the same vibe as normal dog beds do. It's important to make sure that the dog bed is faux leather because real leather wouldn’t last a minute with dogs constantly jumping on it or from scratches and stains.
- Microsuede dog bed- the microsuede fabric is soft and smooth, however, it is difficult to clean and will show stains.